Question for you: How often do you take notes while you’re on Mute and your prospect is revealing their buying motives?
What? You don’t take notes?
How about using your Mute button? Are you actively doing that? (If not, start using it today: search my blog to read articles on how to do that.)
Here’s a simple technique to help you actively listen to and understand a prospect’s or client’s buying motive(s):
While they are answering your qualifying questions, have a piece of paper next to you (or your computer or phone) and actively take notes as they reveal what is important to them. If you’ve never tried this technique, trust me, it’s a game changer….
Bonus: Write down the actual words, phrases, or terms they use. Then, by feeding these back to them, you’ll be speaking to a person’s listening.
By taking notes, you will:
- Be forced to actually listen and hear what they are telling you (rather than thinking about what you’re going to say next).
- Begin thinking about how to point out those aspects of your product or service that matches up with what they want (because you’ll be clear what they are).
- Make a much better connection with your prospect or client because they will feel listened to and heard.
- Become a better listener.
These are just a few of the very real advantages you’ll gain by actively listening and taking notes. This one technique will separate you from all the other sales reps who are just looking for someone to dump their pitch onto.
Like so many solid techniques in sales, this one is simple—but it will only work if you commit to trying it.
And if you do, I guarantee you’ll see the value in it, and you’ll quickly wonder how you’ve done without it all these years….
Need More Proven Responses to the Selling Situations You Face Every Day?
ON DEMAND SALES TRAINING THAT GETS RESULTS!
If your team is struggling with call reluctance and is tired of the endless rejection they face, then get instant access to our On Demand training today. We provide the exact talk tracks, templates, and proven tools your team will be motivated to apply, all structured around an award winning comprehensive inside sales approach that gives your team the confidence to succeed in every selling situation they face today.
Unlimited License: One to 100 reps can attend for one low price!
Perfect for reps dealing with the following issues:
- Reps struggling with call reluctance
- Getting screened out by the gatekeeper
- Overcoming blow off objections like, “Just email me something”
- Identifying decision makers
- Qualifying prospects
- Setting call back appointments that stick
- Giving successful presentations and dealing with objections
- Staying motivated